Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Simple Pleasures, Revisited


I've always loved biking. Unfortunately I didn't make time for the sport for years through high school, college and a long time after. A few years ago while still in Atlanta I needed a way to blow off steam and get some excercise. As a result, I dug out the old mountain bike I bought when I graduated from college / started grad school.

This is a 1992 Diamondback Apex 21" MTB. This was always a great bike, but truth told, a bit too big and too rigid for me to ride off-road. As a result, this bike sat in my parent's shed or my garage for the better part of 12 years. In 2004 I took her out, tuned her up and started riding again.

Believe it or not, all of the components on this bike are completely stock just as they came new in 1992. Beyond a little tuning, they all still work perfectly. For comfort, safety and convenience I've also added / changed a few things:
-Gel Seat (way more comfortable than the original)
-Continental Town & Country Tires (wonderful tires on paved and gravel roads)
-Topeak Rear Rack
-REI Padded Rear Trunk (great for getting Chinese take-out on the ride home)
-REI Panniers (not shown - grocery getters - got them on sale at the annual clearance sale)
-Front /Rear LED Strobe Lights (use them always for visibility)
-Planet Bike Fenders (for riding in the rain)
-SigmaSport 800 Computer (basic speed, odo and trip)
-ToPeak Folding Pump (much better than the other mini-pump I had)

Riding this bike is huge fun. The old Sminao Deore LX MTB components are still solid and reliable. The "old-school" chrome steel frame and geometry make for a great, stable ride on smooth surfaces. In its current configuration, this bike is much better as a commuter / hybrid than it ever was as a mountain bike. I ride this rig at least 4-5 times a week for 1 hour plus and its better than ever.

Nothing like digging up something you still own, fixing it up, and enjoying the heck out of it. Simple pleasures, they're what life is all about. Posted by Picasa

1 Comments:

Blogger Sprokitt said...

21st century...I don't know about that. Most of the stuff I've added is decidedly "old school." The guy at the local bike shop won't even work on this bike, its "too old and not worth it." Ok so I have fenders. Maybe I'm not "cool" but I don't get mud and sand in my eyes anymore.

Run or bike at least once per day. It works best if you can combine it with something else, like going to the store of picking up takeout.

FL weather is hot and humid. 6 weeks ago it was pretty nice. Now its more like your bathroom after a hot shower.

1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home