Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Best $1 Birthday Present Ever

So what can $1 get you these days? More than you think.

Several years ago my friend Chris White gave me a birthday present. The small 1" x 1" x 1/2" yellow box you see here contained a tire patch kit for my mountain bike. Chris took great pride in: a) having thoughtlfully come up with a gift I would actually use, b) having spent only $1 on the gift, and most importantly c) having actually wrapped the gift in birthday paper. I'm not sure exactly how he wrapped it, but I can tell you I think there was more scotch tape than wrapping paper. I distinctly remember getting the gift because I thoughtlessly got him even less...think about that for a minute...

Several years pass and today while riding I have a flat. Bummer. Nothing busts a good bike ride like a flat tire. I scrounge through the seat bag and bingo- my patch kit! Ten minutes later and I was back on the street.

So what can $1 get you these days? It can save you a LONG walk home. Thanks to Chris for the best $1 birthday present ever. I owe you one.

PS: After a long and protracted struggle, Chris has finally lost his battle with bachelorhood. Yes, Chris finally gave in and got engaged last weekend. Believe it or not - he was the one that did the asking, ring and everything. (Gasp!) Hard to believe, yes, but I suppose I saw it coming. I think he could have held off if Kim hadn't bought him that way cool Specialized Stumpjumper FSL Comp mountain bike he's been lusting after for the past 5 years. He must really have wanted that bike! I'm sure glad I didn't buy it for him.

So, congratulations are in order to Chris White and his fiance Kim Neuder. All kidding aside, I wish you the best...Especially you Kim...boy is that bike going to cost you...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home